Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Monday, July 8, 2013

mani mondays: firecracker nails


So, I've kind of become obsessed with nail art, and I'm definitely way too poor and frugal to constantly have some really awesome nail guru design a work of art on my cracking toenails, so I've had to get creative on how I decorate my tips to turn some heads.  That's why I love The Beauty Department and the wonderful tutorials they have to offer.  Even though I usually end up bombing them, I always love to try new and simple techniques to make people "oooh" and "ahhh" over my nails.  I found a technique that I really wanted to try for the Fourth of July, so I set about try to recreate what the amazing nail artists at TBD designed.

This is what the tutorial over at TBD looks like:
http://thebeautydepartment.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/TBDstarstripemani6.jpg 
 Of course I could only dream to have my nails look half as good as what is pictured, but I decided I would try some stars on my toes (on the big ones, because there is more room for me to mess up).


I started with my clean, unpolished nails and applied my Essie "First Base" base coat (I can't get enough of it).  I painted all of my toes with OPI "Sparkle-icious" and painted my big toes with Sally Hanson's "White Out".  I used my Seche Vite for a top coat (side note on Seche Vite: I hate it and really miss my Out the Door, but whatever).



After everything was good and dry, I used the TBD method of creating stars, using the same OPI color on my white toes.  I'm not quite as savvy as whomever created this little tutorial, though, because I used a ballpoint pen instead of a mechanical pencil.  Let's just say I ended up writing all over my pretty white nails and the ballpoint was way thicker than anything pictured on TBD.  Honestly, I'm just proud that I was able to finish in less than an hour, because using a pen instead of a mechanical pencil was about the dumbest thing I could have done.  Other than that, the process was not difficult at all.  I drew five points from a starting circle and created my version of a star.  

So, using this technique I was able to create this:

It is by no means perfect, but I received plenty of compliments when I wore my new sandals and sported my cracklin' toes on the Fourth.  Even my mom was impressed.

I hope you all were able to enjoy your Fourth of July, even if you had a rainy one like I did.  A thousand thanks to The Beauty Department for all of their wonderful tutorials!



No comments:

Post a Comment