Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Monday, June 24, 2013

a little "Me" time

I live alone, in a new city, so getting "me" time really shouldn't be that much of a challenge, but with a promotion at work and a nasty bout with mono, it's a lot harder for me to find relaxation time than when I had a roommate.

I'm a bath girl, so any chance I get, I'll run some hot water and dive in (but only if the tub is deep enough - and since I've never seen a tub deep enough to dive into, I'm usually going feet first).  Since I use my Pinterest creeping abilities  on a daily basis, I've managed to stumble upon quite a few posts related to detox baths.  And being the bath freak that I am, I decided to give detoxing a try... and I am so glad that I did.  Detoxing not only helps me sleep better at night and makes me more conscious of how hydrated I am, but it is also healthy for me and requires me to put in a little more effort to take care of myself (which is a good thing, since I put in practically zero effort right now).

The first thing to note is that detoxing is for getting yucky things out of your body.  The point of the bath is for you to actually sweat out whatever is inside that shouldn't be there.  It sounds gross, but it's actually quite refreshing once you become accustomed to the high temperatures and beads of water rolling down your body.  I am always more relaxed once I'm settled into my bath and occupying my mind. 



The first step is to make sure you are drinking water throughout the day and that you are hydrated at the time you wish to take your bath.  I always have a water bottle beside the tub so that I can continue drinking as I'm sweating.  After your bath, don't forgot to keep drinking water, as it is likely that you will continue sweating for the rest of the night (it won't be so much that you'll soak your clothes or anything - just enough to where you will need some hydration).



Step two requires you to gather your materials for the bath.  You'll need Epsom salt, apple cider vinegar, essential oils, and coconut oil.  Only the Epsom salt and apple cider vinegar are required for a good detox, but the essential and coconut oils will make the bath more pleasurable. 

(My measurements aren't exact because I just eyeball everything when I'm dumping it in the tub, so you can definitely play around with the amount of ingredients you use.).

You'll need one cup of Epsom salt and between one-half to one cup of vinegar (you can use regular vinegar if you have no acv on hand, but the acv is much more moisturizing).  The Epsom salt has extraction properties that will draw the toxins out of your body, and the vinegar is really great for balancing the body's pH (really good for those prone to yeast infections - something every woman wishes to avoid).  As for the essential oil, you can choose any scent, or combination of scents, to add to your water to create a wonderful smell (and cover up the vinegar stink).  I usually like now's lemon eucalyptus or just plain lavender, depending on my mood. 

The last ingredient I use is coconut oil.  As I've said before, I am in love with this product and cannot get enough of it!  I add somewhere around two tablespoons to my water, and my skin becomes instantly moisturized. I can even shave without shaving cream for the first time in my whole life!  You don't need coconut oil for a detox bath, but you need it for a good detox bath.  It's antibacterial properties are great as you soak, and overall it makes the skin so much more healthy.  I refuse to ever again take baths without coconut oil for fear of displeasure and a longing for soft skin. 

After this step, I usually take a quick shower to rinse off my grime so I don't sit in it for thirty minutes, but that's just my preference.  You can choose to go straight for the bath, but just remember, baths have been linked to UTI's and E. coli, among many other things!



In a clean bathtub (I know sometimes it's hard for us working girls to remember to clean the tub when we are supposed to!), run your bath water as hot as you can stand it. Remember: the hotter, the better.  This will help you sweat more.  Add all of your ingredients and let them settle into the water. 



Bathe!  Sit in your detox bath for at least thirty minutes, or as long as you can stand it.  I recommend burning some candles and using this time to meditate or reflect, but most of the time I'm on my phone playing Temple Run (because I'm still convinced it's 2011).  This is your time to unwind and let your body chill!

Once you are finished with your bath, you may want to rinse the tub out, as the ingredients (especially the coconut oil) can make the tub slippery.  You won't want to apply any lotions with chemicals, as your pores will be open and more susceptible to re-absorbing toxins.  After you dry off and slip into comfortable clothes (read: sweatpants and a hole-y tank), snuggle up, drink plenty of water, and relax for the rest of the night!

 Happy detoxing!

No comments:

Post a Comment